Krytox Steam Control Valve Lubricant
Krytox grease meets the need for a continuous lubrication cycle.
Steam control valve lubricant application at a geothermal power plant
The power plant, located in Iceland, utilizes hot steam from the earth, containing 1–4% gas, mostly carbon dioxide and hydrogen disulfide, in temperatures ranging from 120–200 ºC (248–392 °F). A standard hydrocarbon-based grease was unsatisfactory for lubricating bushings for valves that control the flow of high temperature steam containing corrosive gases.
The geothermal power plant needed a steam control valve lubricant that:
- Is able to withstand presence of acidic gases in high temperature steam
- Has low friction for accurate control of the valve position
- Can work in a self-greasing system
Krytox GPL 206 grease met the challenge for lubrication of the steam valve bushing. It provided the low static friction and no stick-slip that is required for accurate position control. Krytox GPL 206, like all Krytox oils and greases, can withstand very high temperatures, is nonflammable, inert, and has a low environmental footprint. The power plant now enjoys reduced maintenance, thanks to high performance Krytox lubricants—standing up to tough conditions.
Other Valve Applications
- Any valve-handling that could react with, degrade, or dissolve standard lubricants. Examples include:
- Aggressive/reactive gases
Fluorinated lubricants from Chemours can also be used successfully in other types of applications. These synthetic oils and greases are ideal for many conditions, such as:
- Continuous high temperatures up to 288ºC (550 °F)
- Use around hazardous chemicals
- Need for low friction coefficient
- Where flammability is a concern, including reactive gases and oxygen service
Krytox™ is a trademark of The Chemours Company FC, LLC.
The recommendation made here with and the information set forth with respect to the performance or use of our products are believed, but not warranted to be accurate. The products discussed are sold without warranty, as to fitness or performance, express or implied and upon condition that purchasers shall make their own test to determine suitability of such products for their particular purposes. Likewise, statements concerning the possible uses of our products are not intended as recommendations to use our products in the infringement of any patent.