Opteon SF80 Increased Cleaning Power
Ultra-Low Global Warming Potential (GWP), Exceptional Cleaning Efficiency, Non-flammable
Opteon SF80 specialty fluid was designed to meet the high solvency needs in the industrial cleaning market. Opteon™ SF80 is a safe, nonflammable, and environmentally friendly solvent with no ozone depletion potential (ODP) and an ultra low global warming potential (GWP) (<15), which are all highly desirable in industrial cleaning applications like vapor degreasing. Opteon SF80 is a blend of proprietary fluids and trans-1, 2-dichloroethylene (t-DCE) with azeotrope-like properties. Its exceptional solvency power (KB value = 99) makes it an ideal candidate for replacement of trichloroethylene (TCE), n-propyl bromide (nPB), benzene, perchloroethylene, methylene chloride, and other strong solvency fluids, where maximum cleaning power is a requirement. Opteon™ is also a great replacement option for solvents with low to mid-solvency power, such as HCFC-225, HCFC-141b, HFEs, PFCs, CFCs, and aqueous cleaners. A retrofit guideline can be found here.
Opteon™ SF80 Features and Benefits
Opteon™ SF80 specialty fluid features an excellent combination of environmental, safety, health, and performance profiles that meet the high solvency needs of the industrial cleaning market.
- The high solvency power (KB value = 99) of Opteon™ SF80 supports superior cleaning performance within its class.
- The high relative evaporation rate of Opteon™ SF80 delivers fast drying cycles and immediate use of cleaned parts for further processing.
- The optimal boiling point of Opteon SF80 translates to greater work throughput and significant reduction in cleaning equipment energy consumption.
- Freezing point supports use in cold cleaning applications at extremely low temperatures.
- Unmatched high wetting index coupled with superior molecular volume provides excellent performance in a variety of cleaning applications.
- High exposure limits allow flexibility with cleaning process, low cost equipment selection, and worker safety.
- Opteon™ SF80 is considered safe, as it is nonflammable and, therefore, not classified as an HAP.
- Opteon™ SF80 supports lower cost of ownership, because of its low boiling point and ability to recycle the used solvent, which eliminates the equipment downtime associated with solvent change-outs. The low liquid density of Opteon™ SF80 also guarantees more solvent volume for the same fill weight.
Opteon SF80 Storage and Handling
Opteon™ SF80 is thermally stable and does not oxidize or degrade during storage. It is recommended to store containers in a clean and dry area, and protect them from freezing and excessive temperatures of 52 °C (126 °F). When stored properly, an unopened package has no shelf life. Package sizes for Opteon™ SF80 are 20 kg (metal pail) and 227 kg (steel drum). Laminate film gloves are recommended when handling Opteon™ SF80.
Industry Expertise at your service since 1955
Miller-Stephenson has had a long history in high performance cleaning and specialty fluids, and our Opteon™ and Vertrel™ brand of products are respected around the world for quality and reliability. When you purchase Miller-Stephenson specialty fluids you not only get industry leading products, you also gain access to our many years of direct production floor experience. We understand your production issues and can help you optimize your cleaning preparation, maintenance and throughput to improve your bottom line.