Opteon™ SF-79 – Vapor Degreasing Solvent
What is Vapor Degreasing?
Vapor degreasing is a precision cleaning technique used to dissolve greases and remove soils from metal parts. Over the course of the manufacturing process, parts ranging from ball bearings to printed circuit boards become contaminated. Manufacturers employ vapor degreasing to ensure that performance, quality, reliability, and aesthetics are not impacted by these impurities. Opteon™ SF-79 Vapor Degreasing Solvent is great for removing soils and greases from metal parts.
What types of industries use vapor degreasing, and where is it used?
- Automotive: Fuel injection, anti-lock braking systems, compressors, relays, sensors, switches
- Aerospace: Fuel injection, landing gear, oxygen systems, printed circuit boards
- Medical Devices: Oxygen systems, eyewear, catheters, surgical devices/needles, implants
- High-End Consumer Goods: Watches, jewelry, camera lenses, flat panel displays, optical assemblies
- Electronics/Semi-Conductors: Printed circuit boards, electrical contacts, cables, optical fibers, silicon wafer front opening unified pods (FOUPs), and flip chips
What problems do manufacturers face when it comes to vapor degreasing?
The biggest challenge facing manufacturers who utilize vapor degreasing is the need for a safe and sustainable solvent. The most commonly used solvent, n-Propyl Bromide (nPB), poses a safety risk to workers upon exposure, and regulations have banned the use of HCFCs like AK-225. Many manufacturers are now looking for solutions that are safe for their employees and the environment, without sacrificing performance.
What is Opteon SF-79 Specialty Fluid, and why are manufacturers converting to it?
Opteon SF-79 Specialty Fluid is a vapor degreasing solvent that is suitable to replace n-propyl bromide and trichloroethylene across many demanding cleaning applications. Manufacturers are switching to Opteon™ SF-79 because it provides an excellent combination of environmental, safety, health, and performance profiles that meet the high solvency needs of the industrial cleaning market. Opteon™ SF-79 is increasingly chosen for vapor decreasing, because of its industry-leading solvency power (KB value), as well as its improved safety and environmental properties. Other benefits of Opteon™ SF-79 include, but are not limited to:
- Fast drying, increasing productivity
- Compatible with most metals, plastics, and elastomers
- Nonflammable and low toxicity
- Zero ozone depletion potential (ODP)
- Low global warming potential (GWP)
What specific products can Opteon SF-79 Specialty Fluid replace?
- n-Propyl Bromide (nPB)
- Novec 72DE
- Solstice PF
Opteon™ is a trademark of The Chemours Company FC, LLC.
The recommendation made here with and the information set forth with respect to the performance or use of our products are believed, but not warranted to be accurate. The products discussed are sold without warranty, as to fitness or performance, express or implied and upon condition that purchasers shall make their own test to determine suitability of such products for their particular purposes. Likewise, statements concerning the possible uses of our products are not intended as recommendations to use our products in the infringement of any patent.