Optimized, Cost-Effective nPB replacement: Vertrel™ and Opteon™
Why are Vertrel™ and Opteon™ fluids suitable as a nPB replacement ?
Recently, the National Toxicity Program issued a report, dated August 2011, “Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of 1-Bromopropane in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice (Inhalation studies).” https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/LT_rpts/TR564.pdf. The report concluded that there was “clear evidence of carcinogenic activity” in female mice and rats. As a result of this finding, Cal/OSHA has set an 8-hour worker permissible exposure limit (PEL) of 5 ppm. In addition, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienist (ACGIH) in 2011 has proposed a TLV of 0.1 ppm.
Vertrel™ Specialty Fluids – Advanced Chemistry; High-Efficiency; High Solvency
Vertrel specialty fluids are direct nPB replacements as well as our newest specialty fluids Opteon SF-79, providing the cleaning efficacy needed while addressing safety and health concerns. The Vertrel fluids offer proven performance and have established themselves as a trusted, direct drop-in nPB replacement in numerous applications from heavy duty flux removal, vapor degreasing, and cold-cleaning operations. With a high Kb values and special additives which boost the cleaning of inorganic contamination, Vertrel fluids have sufficient cleaning strength to replace other old-style solvents such as trichloroethylene (TCE), HCFC-225, HCFC-141b, HFEs, PFCs, and CFCs. Vertrel SFR also replaces aqueous cleaners where ﬂoor space and cleaning results are at a premium.
Opteon™ SF-79 – Next-Generation Cleaning Chemistry; Superior Performance; Eco-friendly
Opteon™ SF-79 is next-generation, high performance specialty cleaning fluid designed to offer superior cleaning power, higher efficiency, and safety in a eco-friendly low global warming potential (GWP) and non-ozone depleting formulation. This cleaning fluid is easy to use and provides reliability without the hassles of acid testing or other maintenance common with nPB environments. Since it has no ozone depletion potential (ODP) and an ultra-low global warming potential (GWP) this is a long-term innovation for industrial cleaning applications. SF-79 was designed from its inception to be a direct nPB replacement, providing equivalent cleaning performance, cost-effectiveness, but with a drastically enhanced operator and environment friendliness. Ideally suited for vapor degreasing, precision cleaning of PCB boards, cold cleaning and removal of greases and oils. Opteon Sion | SF-790 is is superior replacement for n-propyl bromide and TCE across many demanding cleaning applications. Opteon™ SF-79 is increasingly chosen for vapor decreasing, because of its industry leading solvency power (KB value), as well as its improved safety and environmental properties. Benefits include:
- Superior cleaning performance (Kb value = 103)
- Excellent environmental profile: Low GWP (<15); No ODP
- 100% Non-Flammable
- Fast-Drying and low boiling point (47°C)
- Ideal replacement for nPB and TCE
Both the Vertrel™ and Opteon™ specialty fluids offer high efficiency, high solvency, and equivalent or superior performance to n-propyl bromide while forgoing the significant worker safety issues associated with n-propyl bromide. Here are five reasons it is an excellent replacement for nPB:
- Exposure Limit: Vertrel™ & Opteon™ fluids have extremely high exposure limits > 200 ppm. By comparison, Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) has an exposure limit of 200 ppm. The exposure limit of nPB exposure limit is measured between 5 ppm – 10 ppm by varying standards organizations.
- Cleaning Performance: Vertrel & Opteon™ specialty fluids have the broadest range of cleaning power of any solvent family. KB values (a measure of cleaning power) range from 11 to a high of 110. Vertrel can match nPB’s cleaning power.
- Solvent Maintenance: Vertrel& Opteon™ fluids are inherently stable and do not need acid acceptance testing or stabilizer maintenance unlike nPB. In addition, the relatively high exposure limit of Vertrel enables the use of open top vapor degreasers, and solvent air monitoring can be kept to a minimum.
- Solvent Usage: Today’s cleaning equipment manufacturers have improved system design resulting in significant reductions in the amount of solvent emissions and reducing overall operating costs. Vertrel& Opteon™ are cost competitive with nPB as a result of the emissions reduction.
- Global Acceptance: These specialty fluids are globally accepted as a safe cleaning material. Many countries have classified nPB as a reproductive toxin. In Europe, nPB is labeled as R60 (may impair fertility); R63 (possible risk of harm to the unborn child); and R48/20 (harmful: danger of serious damage to health by prolonged exposure through inhalation).
Summary: nPB replacement alternatives
Vertrel specialty fluids have similar solvency strength as nPB. It is non-flammable, safe, and requires no stabilizers, making it an ideal replacement for nPB. Opteon™ products are also a great replacement for nPb.
Miller-Stephenson – 60 years of Technical Expertise…..at your service!
Miller-Stephenson is helping companies convert from nPB-based solvents to effective, safe and compliant alternatives. The goal of our support is that the replacement fluid will deliver cleaning results as good as or better than nPB at a similar cost-per-part-cleaned. Our support is designed to reduce the research and confusion of selecting a new chemistry, and ensuring a smooth and seamless transition. Miller-Stephenson can offer this commitment because we have a team of cleaning engineers, chemists and technical staff with dedicated to helping your transition, we offer on-site and off-site technical assistance. When the conversion begins, we launch our on-site technical support and a comprehensive product Stewardship Program. This program is designed to help each company lower cleaning costs, improve worker safety and protect the environment. The program educates workers about the cleaning products and processes, plus audits company procedures to ensure everyone works safely and profitably.
The recommendation made here with and the information set forth with respect to the performance or use of our products are believed, but not warranted to be accurate. The products discussed are sold without warranty, as to fitness or performance, express or implied and upon condition that purchasers shall make their own test to determine suitability of such products for their particular purposes. Likewise, statements concerning the possible uses of our products are not intended as recommendations to use our products in the infringement of any patent.