Low Global Warming Potential & High Cleaning Efficiency
Opteon SF-79 specialty fluid is designed to meet the high solvency needs in the industrial cleaning market. Opteon™ SF-79 is a safe, nonflammable, and environmentally friendly solvent with no ozone depletion potential (ODP) and a low global warming potential (GWP) (<15), which are all highly desirable in industrial cleaning applications like vapor degreasing.
Opteon SF-79 is a blend of proprietary fluids and trans-1, 2-dichloroethylene (t-DCE) with azeotrope-like properties. Its exceptional solvency power (KB value = 103) makes it an ideal candidate for replacement of trichloroethylene (TCE), n-propyl bromide (nPB), benzene, perchloroethylene, methylene chloride, and other strong solvency fluids, where maximum cleaning power is a requirement. Opteon™ Sion is also a great replacement option for solvents with low to mid-solvency power, such as HCFC-225, HCFC-141b, HFEs, PFCs, CFCs, and aqueous cleaners. A retrofit guideline can be found here.
Opteon SF-79 has the ability to clean a wide range of contaminants. The fluid features high solvency and low surface tension, which can improve the efficiency of a vapor degreaser. Opteon™ Sion | SF-79 cleaning fluid is easy to use and provides reliability with hassle-free maintenance.
Opteon SF-79 Features and Benefits
- Superior cleaning performance with best solvency power in its class (KB value = 103)
- Fast drying with an optimum boiling point (47 °C [117 °F]), allows cleaned parts to be processed and used immediately
- High soil loading capacity boosts productivity by reducing equipment downtime associated with solvent change-outs
- Product maintains compositional stability during use (azeotropic-like mixture)
- Maintenance free: No stabilizer maintenance required, easy to maintain and use
- In general, existing vapor degreasing equipment can be used with minor or no modifications. See Opteon™ Sion Retrofit Guidelines
- No surfactants needed: Removes extra washing steps to achieve residue-free cleaning
- Recyclable and reusable: Reduces cost of ownership and environmental footprint
- Low odor and toxicity
- Excellent environmental profile: Low GWP (<15), no ODP
- Oil and grease removal
- Precision cleaning
- High solvency defluxing
- Silicone removal
- Vapor degreasing
- Cold cleaning
Table 1. Physical Properties
|Property||Units||Opteon™ SF-79||CFC-113||HCFC-141b||Novec® 72DE||HCFC-225
|Saturated Vapor Density(1)||kg/m^3||1.81||3.47||3.83||N.D.(2)||N.D.(2)||4.5||5.7||4.24|
|Liquid Thermal Conductivity(1)||mW/m-K||128||72.3||90.6||N.D.(2)||N.D.(2)||115.9||N.D.(2)||N.D.(2)|
|Heat Capacity(1)||kJ/kg °C||1.069||1.079||1.0996||N.D.(2)||1.046||0.962||0.855||1.103|
|Heat of Vaporization at Boiling Point||kJ/kg||280||147||223||218||145||236||210||246|
All data compiled was furnished from publicly available sources. (1) Values reported are at 25 °C (77 °F), unless otherwise specified. (2) N.D. refers to no reference data available.
Opteon SF-79 Performance Evaluations
Opteon SF-79 was evaluated for performance using typical coupon cleaning tests according to ASTM G122. Below are examples of the results from performance evaluations. Contact Chemours to initiate a cleaning trial in one of our regional cleaning laboratories or obtain a sample for on-site testing.
Table 2. Performance Evaluations of Opteon™ SF-79
|% Contamination Removed
(avg. of 3 trials)
Opteon™ Sion was evaluated for cleaning fluxes/residues and found effective in cleaning non-polar flux rosin residues from surface mounted technology printed circuit boards.
Opteon SF-79 has the highest cleaning power of any cleaning fluid in its class as measured by the KB value (KB value = 103). The KB value is determined by ASTM D1133 and is a well known measurement of solvency strength. In general, the higher the KB value, the greater the cleaning power. The solubility of Opteon™ SF-79 for various contaminants is shown in Table 3.
Table 3. Solubility of Various Contaminants in Opteon™ Sion
|Hydraulic Fluid (MIL-PRF-83282)||Miscible|
*Registered trademark of Eastman Chemical Company
Opteon™ SF-79 is characterized by good compatibility with a wide selection of metals; for example, stainless steel, copper, brass, and aluminum. Opteon™ SF-79 is compatible with these plastics and elastomers: Teflon™ (PTFE), FEP, PFA, polyethylene, polypropylene, Nylon, Kynar, Ryton, Halar, and Kalrez®. Examples of incompatible plastics include PMMA, ABS, polycarbonate, and polystyrene. Most elastomers, including Viton™, Natural rubber, EPDM, silicone, and Hypalon®, show reversible swelling when exposed to Opteon™ Sion | SF-79 . Teflon™ or Teflon™ encapsulated gaskets and O-ring seals are recommended for diaphragm pumps. Individual plastic and elastomeric formulations can vary with the manufacturer; therefore, the best assurance of material compatibility can be recommended after testing under conditions expected during normal operation. Contact your local technical representative for specific material compatibility concerns.
Table 4. Plastics/Elastomers Compatibility
|Nylon||Acrylic (PMMA)||PTFE w/Neoprene||Buna N|
Safety, Toxicity, and Environmental
Opteon™ SF-79 exhibits no closed or open cup flash point and is classified as a nonflammable liquid by NFPA or DOT. The product is volatile; vapor may become flammable when mixed with air in the concentrations shown below. Flash point data and vapor flammability limits in air are shown in Table 5.
Table 5. Safety, Toxicity, and Environmental Properties
|Flash Point, CC, ASTM D56||°C (°F)||None|
|Flash Point, OC, ASTM D1310||°C (°F)||None|
|Vapor Flammability Limits||% Vol||7.25–15.25|
|Ozone Depletion Potential||–||0|
|Global Warming Potential||–||<15|
|Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)||g/L||1278|
|Occupational Exposure Limit||ppm||201|
Opteon SF-79 Storage and Handling
Opteon™ SF-70 is thermally stable and does not oxidize or degrade during storage. It is recommended to store containers in a clean and dry area, and protect them from freezing and excessive temperatures of 52 °C (126 °F). When stored properly, an unopened package has no shelf life. Package sizes for Opteon™ SF-79 are 20 kg (metal pail) and 227 kg (steel drum). Laminate film gloves are recommended when handling Opteon™ SF-79.
Opteon SF-79 Benefits & Features
Opteon™ SF-79 specialty fluid features an excellent combination of environmental, safety, health, and performance profiles that meet the high solvency needs of the industrial cleaning market. As a result, it’s an ideal candidate for replacing solvents like n-propyl bromide (nPB), perchloroethylene (Perc), water (H2O), and trichloroethylene (TCE) in industrial cleaning applications.
Product performance benefits driven by designed solvent properties:
- The high solvency power (KB value = 103) of Opteon™ SF-79 supports superior cleaning performance within its class.
- The high relative evaporation rate of Opteon™ SF-79 delivers fast drying cycles and immediate use of cleaned parts for further processing.
- The optimal boiling point of Opteon™ SF-79 translates to greater work throughput and significant reduction in cleaning equipment energy consumption.
- Opteon™ SF-79 supports lower cost of ownership, because of its low boiling point and ability to recycle the used solvent, which eliminates the equipment downtime associated with solvent change-outs. The low liquid density of Opteon™ SF-79 also guarantees more solvent volume for the same fill weight.
- Freezing point supports use in cold cleaning applications at extremely low temperatures.
- Unmatched high wetting index coupled with superior molecular volume provides excellent performance in a variety of cleaning applications.
- High exposure limits allow flexibility with cleaning process, low cost equipment selection, and worker safety.
- Opteon™ SF-79 is considered safe, as it is nonflammable and, therefore, not classified as an HAP.
60+ years of Industry Expertise at your service
Miller-Stephenson has had a long history in high performance cleaning and specialty fluids, and our Opteon™ and Vertrel™ brand of products are respected around the world for quality and reliability. When you purchase Miller-Stephenson specialty fluids you not only get industry leading products, you also gain access to our many years of direct production floor experience. We understand your production issues and can help you optimize your cleaning preparation, maintenance and throughput to improve your bottom line.
Opteon™ is a trademark of The Chemours Company FC, LLC
The recommendation made here with and the information set forth with respect to the performance or use of our products are believed, but not warranted to be accurate. The products discussed are sold without warranty, as to fitness or performance, express or implied and upon condition that purchasers shall make their own test to determine suitability of such products for their particular purposes. Likewise, statements concerning the possible uses of our products are not intended as recommendations to use our products in the infringement of any patent.