Krytox Corrugator Greases
Krytox PFPE/PTFE corrugator greases have become the corrugator industry standard for lubricating bearings on heated rolls in single facers and associated equipment. Krytox lubricants help eliminate bearing lubrication as a cause of premature corrugator roll failures. Corrugator roll changes are significantly easier and quicker on single facers lubricated with Krytox corrugator greases.
Corrugators choose Krytox™ lubricants for many reasons:
- Most productive lubrication system for single facer bearings among all paper corrugating plants, equipment OEMs, and corrugator roll rebuilders
- Most thermally stable H1 base oil available
- Reduced risk of bearing failure
- Conversion support and PFPE lubrication/application training available
Krytox greases for the corrugating industry include:
Krytox Corrugator 226 FG, 227 FG Greases—The standard in PFPE/PTFE greases, recognized by OEMs and operators alike as the premium performing high temperature grease. These products are NSF H-1 Food Grade certified, providing safe, non-toxic, and inert performance in food-related operations.
For detailed information, refer to the MSDS for the specific grade of Krytox fluorinated grease that you are using. Highlights are:
- When handling, wear any type of impervious gloves.
- Wash hands after use.
- Do not smoke tobacco that may have been contaminated with Krytox grease. Inhalation of fumes from burning Krytox grease may cause a temporary flu-like illness with symptoms such as fever, chills, and sometimes cough. Symptoms are typically gone after 1–2 days.
- When handling Krytox solvent or HC cleaner, use adequate ventilation, and wear eye protection and any type of impervious rubber gloves.
- Make sure the bearings are clean and free of preservatives, hydrocarbon oils, greases, and residues before lubricating with Krytox grease; use Krytox HC Plus Cleaner or equivalent. Contaminating Krytox grease with any other lubricant will impair its lubricating value.
- If using pails versus cartridges, slight pooling of oil on top of the Krytox grease can occur, particularly if it has been sitting unused for a while. Simply mix it back in with a clean stirrer.
- Use special grease fittings—pin or button head—for Krytox grease to prevent contamination with hydrocarbon or synthetic lubricants.
- Use a dedicated grease gun (labeled Krytox grease only) with a swivel coupling matched to the special pin or button head grease fittings (bearing inlet ports). Fill the bearings and bearing housings completely to prevent air pockets that can collect water and debris.
- Prevent corrugating process materials (e.g., waxes and paper debris) from entering the bearings.
- Wipe the inlet fittings clean with a clean cloth to prevent contamination of the Krytox grease.
- Add/replenish Krytox™ grease every three months. Pump about 1 lb (1/2 cartridge), or whatever is necessary, of Krytox™ grease into the bearing button or pin head grease fittings to force some existing grease out through the seals. It is best to rotate bearings while adding grease to prevent “channeling” of the new grease through the bearing. A more conservative approach is to follow this practice more frequently, say once a month; proportionately less Krytox grease would be needed. Pay attention to plant safety procedures when working with moving equipment.
- Compare expelled/purged grease with the “Color Guide” and service as noted. (This guide applies to normal wear only; contaminants will alter the grease’s appearance.)
- Wipe off excess Krytox grease from equipment surfaces to prevent buildup of dirt/debris attracted to surface grease.
Disposal and Storage
- Properly dispose of used Krytox grease purged from outlet ports, seals, and/or shaft-bearing clearances according to local, state, and federal codes.
- Keep all Krytox grease containers covered to prevent contamination.
|White||None||Grease in good condition: creamy consistency.|
|Gray||0.0-0.1% iron||Grease in good condition, normal wear in bearing; creamy consistency|
|Tan||0.0-0.4% iron||Add grease until cavity is full, bearing OK.|
|Brown||0.0-0.8% iron||Flush bearing with grease until color lightens to tan.|
|Dark Brown||Greater than 0.8% iron||Check bearing for play and noise. If OK, flush/purge with new Krytox™ grease. If not OK, schedule bearing change.|
To learn more about Krytox corrugator greases please contact us by clicking here.
The recommendation made here with and the information set forth with respect to the performance or use of our products are believed, but not warranted to be accurate. The products discussed are sold without warranty, as to fitness or performance, express or implied and upon condition that purchasers shall make their own test to determine suitability of such products for their particular purposes. Likewise, statements concerning the possible uses of our products are not intended as recommendations to use our products in the infringement of any patent.