ShieldSys™ SB | Medical Device Coating
Next-Generation Fluoropolymer Chemistry; Superior Lubricity, Durability, and Abrasion Resistance
ShieldSys™ SB is high advanced fluoropolymer medical device coating designed specifically to provide extremely low coefficient of friction, eliminate “slip-stick” non-release issues on body tissue, minimizes build-up and fouling and imparts an ease cleaning surface to medical devices. This coating utilizes a proprietary fluoropolymer resin system designed to generate a highly durable, abrasion resistant, and chemically inert thin-film (5-
- Exceptional durability and abrasion resistance
- Ultra-low coefficient of friction; High Lubricity
- Minimization of “slip-stick” issues
- Chemically Inert; Autoclave stable
- Clean, Non-oily, Non-migrating
- Eliminates build-up and fouling
- Stable to all forms of sterilization
- Full Back Integrated raw material manufacturing; Guarantees 100% consistency lot-to-lot
Our next-generation medical device coating allows manufactures to provide improved, reliable, and consistent performance. Our coatings utilize proprietary fluoropolymer resin and binder technology deliver superior adhesion and durability in a operator-friendly water-based, non-Chromium-Cr(VI) system. Miller-Stephenson’s ShieldSys SB medical device coating provides excellent adhesion and corrosion protection on a variety of substrates (including low-temperature metallic alloys, high temperature plastics, etc) while maintaining an extremely low coefficient of friction. These coatings are the path forward for companies who want to stay ahead of the Regulatory restriction of Chromium-6 while enhancing consistency, surface adhesion, and minimizing coefficient of friction. From scalpel blades to
Water-based Formulation, Easy Application, Thin-Film Technology
ShieldSys™ SB is formulated to provide unmatched utility and performance on numerous medical device and tool applications which require a dry film, highly lubricious, and anti-fouling surface coating.
- Surface preparation is important for all application methods. All surfaces should be clean and dry before ShieldSys™ SB dispersion’s are applied. Controlling surface roughness improves coverage, especially in air-dried applications; a smooth surface can improve results. Properly applied, ShieldSys™ SB dispersion coatings are not affected by water or other materials with which they come in contact.
- Dipping: Dipping is useful for coating small devices, tips, and scalpel blades. Coatings levels are determined by concentration of solids, rate of withdrawal, and number of applications. A single application is typically sufficient.
- Brush: This method is especially useful in coating continuous surfaces such as rods, tubes, or flat sheets. In addition, wiping and brushing are ideal for coating specific areas of a larger part.
- Spraying: Dilution with DI water is typically necessary. Spray coating can be performed by any equipment which can generate fine atomization and deposit uniform, light coats of material.
Melting-Coating for Improved Adhesion:
Adhesion of the coating can be improved by melting the deposited solids. After the dilute dispersion’s are applied and the solvent is allowed to evaporate at room temperature, the surface can be heated to fuse the coating. The temperature for heat-curing the coating is 340–360°C (644–680°F). When melt-coating ShieldSys ™ SB dispersion’s, provide adequate ventilation. Heat-curing the coating is completed as follows:
- Measure the surface temperature directly with a thermocouple. You may observe a change in coating appearance, which may alter initially from an opaque white to a darker, translucent look and then appear clear and wet.
- Maintain the temperature of the coated surfaces (not the temperature of the ambient air) at the correct temperature for 5–10 minutes.
- If a white residue is left on the metal surface, buff with a soft cloth
Related Article Links
The recommendation made here with and the information set forth with respect to the performance or use of our products are believed, but not warranted to be accurate. The products discussed are sold without warranty, as to fitness or performance, express or implied and upon condition that purchasers shall make their own test to determine suitability of such products for their particular purposes. Likewise, statements concerning the possible uses of our products are not intended as recommendations to use our products in the infringement of any patent.