VAZO 64 Radical Initiator | Azobisisobutyronitrile
AIBN Free Radical Initiator; Reliable, Predictable Initiation
VAZO 64 radical initiator, also known as AIBN (Azobisisobutyronitrile), is a free radical azo initiator typically used as a polymerization initiator. VAZO 64 radical initiator is one of the most widely used initiators, which thermally decomposes to generate free radicals and nitrogen gas. More cost-effective than organic peroxides of comparable activity. Its low molecular weight allows it to be one of the most cost effective options, with a higher mole per pound than other initiators. Benefits include:
- Very Cost Effective
- Does not compete in costly sides reactions
- Head-to-Tail polymerization; Low polydispersity
- Unaffected by heavy metals, contamination, additives etc
- Can polymerize oxidation susceptible compound
All the grades are Vazo radical Initiators are essentially insoluble in water, sparingly soluble in aliphatic hydrocarbons, and soluble in functionalized organic compounds and aromatic hydrocarbons. Vazo 67 is significantly more soluble in organic solvents and monomers than the other grades. Caution must be used in the handling of highly concentrated solutions to avoid a self-accelerating decomposition.
Solvent-Soluble Vazo™ free radical sources offer a number of advantages over organic peroxides.
- More stable than most peroxides, so can be stored under milder conditions and are not shock-sensitive.
- Decompose with first-order kinetics; not sensitive to metals, acids, and bases; not susceptible to radical-induced decompositions. This makes Vazo™ free radical sources more efficient and predictable than other free radical sources.
- Produce less energetic radicals than peroxides, so there is less branching and cross-linking.
- Are weak oxidizing agents, which lets them be used to polymerize unsaturated amines, mercaptans, and aldehydes without affecting pigments and dyes.
- Are available in four grades to use over a wide temperature range.
For safety, the maximum storage temperatures are as follows: Vazo™ 52 (10°C [50°F]); Vazo™ 64 and Vazo™ 67 (24°C [75°F]); Vazo™ 88 (35°C [95°F]);
Related Article Links
The recommendation made here with and the information set forth with respect to the performance or use of our products are believed, but not warranted to be accurate. The products discussed are sold without warranty, as to fitness or performance, express or implied and upon condition that purchasers shall make their own test to determine suitability of such products for their particular purposes. Likewise, statements concerning the possible uses of our products are not intended as recommendations to use our products in the infringement of any patent.